Sins that remove one from the fold of Islam
The Ten acts that nullify Islam by Muhammad ibn ‘Abd al-Wahhaab:
- Shirk or associating others in worship with Allaah. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Verily, Allaah forgives not (the sin of) setting up partners (in worship) with Him, but He forgives whom He wills, sins other than that, and whoever sets up partners in worship with Allaah, has indeed strayed far away”[al-Nisa’ 4:116]
This includes praying to the dead, seeking their help, making vows and offering sacrifices to them or to the jinn or to the grave.
- Whoever sets up intermediaries between himself and Allaah, asks them to intercede, and puts his trust in them, is a disbeliever according to scholarly consensus.
- Whoever does not regard the mushrikeen/people of other religions as disbelievers, or doubts that they are disbelievers, or regards their way as correct, is a disbeliever.
- Whoever believes that anything other than the teaching of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is more complete than his teachings, or that the rulings of anyone else are better than his rulings – such as those who prefer the rule of false laws to his rulings – has gone away from the fold of Islam (i.e. is a disbeliever).
- Whoever hates any part of that which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) brought, even if he acts in accordance with it, has nullified his Islam, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “That is because they hate that which Allaah has sent down (this Qur’aan and Islamic laws); so He has made their deeds fruitless”[Muhammad 47:9]
- Whoever makes fun of anything in the religion of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), or makes fun of any texts that refer to rewards or punishments, has nullified his Islam. The evidence for that is the verse (interpretation of the meaning): “Say: Was it at Allaah, and His Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) and His Messenger that you were mocking? Make no excuse; you disbelieved after you had believed” [al-Tawbah 9:65-66]
- Sihr (witchcraft) – including spells to turn one person against another or to make someone love another. Whoever does this or approves of it is a disbeliever. The evidence for that is the verse (interpretation of the meaning): “but neither of these two (angels) taught anyone (such things) till they had said, ‘We are for trial, so disbelieve not (by learning this magic from us)'”[al-Baqarah 2:102]
- Supporting the disbelievers and helping them against the Muslims. The evidence for that is the verse in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as Awliyaa’ (friends, protectors, helpers), they are but Awliyaa’ of each other. And if any amongst you takes them (as Awliyaa’), then surely, he is one of them. Verily, Allaah guides not those people who are the Zaalimoon (polytheists and wrongdoers and unjust)” [al-Maa’idah 5:51]
- Whoever believes that some people are allowed to operate outside the law of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) just as al-Khidr operated outside the law of Moosa (peace be upon him) is a kaafir, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “And whoever seeks a religion other than Islam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers”[Aal ‘Imraan 3:85]
- Turning away from the religion of Allaah, not learning it and not acting in accordance with it. The evidence for that is the verse (interpretation of the meaning): “And who does more wrong than he who is reminded of the Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) of his Lord, then turns aside therefrom? Verily, We shall exact retribution from the Mujrimoon (criminals, disbelievers, polytheists, sinners)” [al-Sajdah 32:22]
With regard to all of these acts that nullify Islam, it makes no difference whether a person is joking, serious or afraid, unless he is forced to do it.All of them are very serious, and they all happen a great deal. The Muslim should beware of them and fear falling into them. We seek refuge with Allaah from the things that may incur His wrath and painful punishment. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon the best of His creation, Muhammad, and upon his family and companions.
To read the entire article, click here: http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=31807&ln=eng&txt=apostate